For most of my life I’ve refused to make New Year’s Resolutions. I’m not sure why. Perhaps it was a (pointless) rebellion of sorts where I acted out against the norm in a healthy(ish) way. I remember feeling clever talking with my friend’s older brother when we were teenagers, if I make a resolution NOT to make a New Year’s resolution is that still a resolution? I remember thinking he thought I was so very hilarious…
Even as an adult I didn’t want to make resolutions. Most people fail at their resolutions anyways so why would I want to set myself up for failure?! I never saw the point and felt it was stupid to procrastinate changing something in my life that I knew needed to be different. *Then I had kids*. Doing anything is pretty dang hard, especially staring something new or challenging! I needed a starting point… something like… a reset… a OHH a NEW YEAR.
So I humbly sit here in my early thirties, feeling like a real adult for the first time in my life and deciding to make a list of resolutions for the first time. Resolutions without a plan usually end in failure so I decided to add a few of the ways I hope to achieve them. I love advice so chime in! Here they are:
1. Be more patient and intentional with the boys. (Including Ben.) They have to be number 1! There has been a lot of transition over the last 4 months and I want to regain structure and discipline in all of our lives. The boys went from part time preschool, to full time for a few months and then back to being at home full time. As much as I enjoy (most of the time….) spending time with them I don’t want them to fall behind. I am now working on a plan for next year and hope to have a structured learning time and schedule play groups. I’m considering putting them in a limited pre-school again but right now unless I start to work a LOT more, our finances can’t stretch that much. Ahhh well. We’ll see!
To help me with my plan I have a kit for teaching at home and we got Bear a Nabi tablet that has an accredited kindergarten program that I’ll be working with him on. I plan on also using flashcards for Bug- he really seems to love them.
2. Eat healthier. I know, I know, this is a cliche one. Do I really need to expand on this? (LOL, I am cracking myself up AGAIN) But to be a little more specific, I am wanting to eat less food in general, drink little or no pop and alcohol. I’d like to eat less calories per day and less sugar overall. BWAHAHAHAHAH….. I love food so much so we shall see how this works…
I am using an app called MyFitnessPal that helps me track what I’m eating
when I’m being honest.
3. I’m scared to say this one… My heart started pounding a little faster even as I typed that out…. and I haven’t committed to what it is I’m scared of- OK, here it goes- RUN A 1/2 MARATHON! EEEEP! How am I possibly going to do this?! I’m going to continue to push myself physically in order to be fit and healthy- I feel so much better mentally. This would be a huge accomplishment for me and you betcha I’d be slapping a 13.1 sticker on the back of my car!
Hmmm. I have no idea how to train for this but I’m sure there is an app for that.
4. Pray more/spend more time alone. Another pretty classic one! But if I’m not taking care of myself, I tend not to be as intentional in life. I want to have an even deeper and more enriching relationship with God.
I have a Bible app, (where there is a daily verse that appears and a bunch of reading plans for all levels) a Mars Hill app (with daily devotions and access to sermons on a variety of topics) and a IHOPKC app (where I can watch the prayer room live and listen or watch conferences). All are great and help me out during the days that are extra busy and I don’t get a moment alone!
5.Get focused and organized with my blog and social networks. I want to dramatically increase follows and likes on Twitter and Facebook. I want to get more viewers on my blog so I have a higher reach and can live my dream of writing a little bit more. As much as I hate to admit it- numbers really do mean everything when trying to work with companies and brands. More than they should in my opinion.
To accomplish this I have signed up for several conferences and look forward to learning and being inspired! Also, the wonderful Social Fabric offers advice and tips on a regular basis that I try to implement. I almost prefer that because conferences can be
6. Believe in myself and don’t let other people’s opinions matter as much as I let them. This year I feel like I’ve come to terms with a lot of things. I’ve reset boundaries in a healthy way and love myself as I understand who I am. I’ve never been happier or more at peace. I kinda love life right now.
How do I do that? Speak truth to myself every day and pray constantly. It’s a battle and I intend to fight it until this isn’t a struggle. … If that day comes…
What are your New Year’s Resolutions? Do you have any advice or tips for me to succeed with my goals? Share ‘em!