My last post was all about my return from lingering in the dark ages for a few weeks with out any internet access and the great return I would have in my writing journey following the grand internet restoration. Well… that return has proven it’s self to be an epic fail.
I have been racking my brain for weeks about things to write and the truth is that I just have nothing… I mean nothing. Even witting this post about having nothing was difficult to sit and write. I sat last week with my computer in front of my for like four hours and got no where.
In light of all of this I began really thinking about what is happening to me and in my life that could possibly be causing such a block in expressing my thoughts to flow out in written word then I looked around at my desk…
As you can see there is a lot happening here!
I just returned from a 2 and a half week much needed break from work. Now, don’t get me wrong I love my job and what I do every day but it is A LOT every day all the time. I knew it would be when I signed on for it but my desk is always a testimony to how much is truly going on. If you can believe this or not it was clean when I returned on Saturday and this is what has happened in just two full days.
As you can see…
- - There is my computer which is always beckoning me to hours of work
- - Why yes… there is a crusty plate on my desk because meals tend to have to happen in my office at times… don’t judge me…
- - There is a pile to my right and each thing in that pile is as important as the next in terms of completion and priority levels
- - There is a bible there which is also another part of my day to be with Jesus and I have to work hard at not making it be just another task but something that brings relief and fresh life in all of this business.
- - Then we have a tin with Christmas candy but there are certificates for free bowling which lends to another task of planning an outing for 25 people to go bowling in the near future because they expire soon.
As I looked around my desk I realized why it has been so difficult to write anything over the past weeks. When the students and staff here left for their break I spent several more days working on things and then once I was done and decided to leave myself I was really really done. I truly stopped thinking about work in almost every aspect for nearly 3 weeks. I suddenly realized that this was the answer to my struggle with writing my brain takes in so much each day and puts out so much each day that when I took a break so did my brain. It had to… it was it’s survival mode. So here I am again hoping that my brain can find it’s way to turning back on not just in terms of my job, (which whether my brain likes it or not it has to turn on for that), and in terms of being creative in my thoughts and abilities.
So the next few weeks will be my journey of returning to a place where my brain can not just think but that it can bring about some creative touches in my life.
Congrats to Jacqueline Presley for winning the giveaway!!!! WOW! Jacqueline is going to start to write for this blog starting soon so I almost picked someone else to be “fair” but since she isn’t writing for me yet, not picking her would be even MORE unfair. I’m so happy that she won, for everyone else, thanks for entering and hope to see you this weekend!
I absolutely love this time of year. I love layers, bulky sweaters and tall riding boots and I heartily cheer on the season that ushers them in! I feel that September and October are the pre-party with football games and Halloween, with Thanksgiving being the fall highlight and Christmas as the grand finale. The whole season is about community with others, giving, sharing and everyone seems like they are in a festive mood, or perhaps it’s just my overly abundant excitement that filters every interaction…
Whatever the case, I am super excited to offer this awesome, awesomesauce giveaway to you:
1. A pair of VIP tickets to the NWA Botique Show with a SWAG BAG where you will enjoy live music, sample amazing food from some of the best restaurants in NWA and be entered to win amazing door prizes! - a $40 value!! (Friday, November 9th, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.) Follow on Twitter & Facebook for more details on the event!
**For more information on this event and to purchase tickets for yourself, please visit their website NWABotiqueShow.
2. A hand-made hat from Kingdom Crafts in Nepal, from the Global Shoppe inside Mama Carman’s! The VIP winner can choose which style of hat that they would like, from adult sizes or these cute animal hats in children’s sizes!
“Kingdom Crafts Nepal is a business of Kingdom Investments Nepal (KIN), a non-governmental organization that prevents and rescues girls from becoming sex slaves in India and abroad. Because of your purchase, both “at risk” village girls and rescued girls living in safe houses can become independent through the means of sewing and professional tailoring. Once they graduate from the program, they not only have a way of making a life for themselves, but are also liberated from the cycle of poverty.”
3. Bliss cupcakes, one for the VIP winner AND their guest to munch on while shopping! I LOVE their cupcakes! The regular cupcakes are divine and I love the fact that I can order cupcakes for my kids’ birthday parties that are gluten-free and taste amazing. They have 2 store locations in Fayetteville, one by the square downtown and the other across from Walmart on Joyce. Their gormet cupcakes are perfect for weddings and birthday celebrations! Follow them on Twitter and Facebook for updates and specials!
Tickets, a present and delicious dessert: if you live in Northwest Arkansas this is one amazing giveaway!
I was so thrilled when Julie approached me about being a part of the promotion! For me, the boutique show is perfectly timed. It’s usually right after my Fall Craft Fever when I start making adorable, Pinterest-inspired crafts for all my friends and family… and then have most of them not look at all like the Pinterest inspiration so I have to scramble to give fun and unique gifts. When they open their gift and exclaim, “OH, did you MAKE THIS?!” I just cough and spill my apple cider to change the subject. Actually, I’m kidding here, anyone who knows me knows that I’m not that crafty these days, which is why I’m even more excited about the NWA Boutique Show so I can give
better gifts than everyone else awesomesauce gifts made by someone else’s loving hands.
On a personal note, the main reason I am writing this blog is because the proceeds from the sale of tickets go to support:
*The Junior League- They have made a strong commitment to help educate and assist women in domestic violent situations. I had the good fortune to meet a lady helping out at a Champions for Kids event and was impressed by her passion! I know that the Junior League helps out with a lot of other foundations, but the lady really cared about the NWA Women’s Shelter and since October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, I feel I need to give a shout out to them.
*The Miller Foundation- I can’t hardly talk about this without tearing up. I followed along on the blog during their journey and was amazed at their strength. They have set up a foundation whose goal is to “raise awareness, fund research and offer to support to other families who are faced with the challenges of SMA”. SMA is “Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the number one genetic killer of children under the age of two, is a group of inherited and often fatal diseases that destroy the nerves controlling voluntary muscle movement, which affects crawling, walking, head and neck control and even swallowing.” It is a heartbreaking thing for a parent to loose a child and the fact they are helping others even in their grief is beautiful.
HOW TO ENTER? (LOCAL, NW Arkansas residents only- you can’t pick up your cupcake if you live in Portland, OR!)
I will be selecting a winner on November 8, 2012 at 12pm CST! Be sure to leave a valid email address so I can contact you!
Simple, just leave a comment telling me either why you NEED these tickets -OR- share your most embarrassing Pinterest craft FAIL. Hey, misery loves company!!! This is an amazing and fun event you will enjoy!
For additional entries, NOT NECESSARY, but helpful! Follow on Twitter and Facebook (all links posted above) and leave a comment saying you did:
*The Busy Nothings
*the NWA Boutique Store
*The Global Shoppe